An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Space A Guidance

Keep in mind there is no guarantee you will be selected for a seat. Space-A travelers must be prepared to cover commercial travel expenses if flight schedules are changed or become unavailable to allow Space-A travel (Per DODI 4515.13, Section 4, Paragraph 4.1.a).

Travel Instructions

1. Travel eligibility | Review Travel Eligibility Categories 1-6 (below) to determine your Space-A travel category.

2. Locations | While Selfridge rarely has available flights, you can review common destinations offered at other AMC Passenger Terminal by visiting their website/social media page.  

3. Document check | Ensure you have the required travel documents, e.g. passport with visas. Customs and Immigration requirements may change. Contact your departure passenger terminal for current documentation requirements or travel restrictions. Other information regarding travel documents may be found by visiting the U.S. Department of State International Travel website.

4. Registration | Contact the AMC Passenger Terminal you're trying to fly out of.

5. Flight schedules | For specific travel information out of Selfridge, check the Selfridge Air Terminal Facebook page (linked on this page.)

6. Checking in | Check in at the terminal counter to mark yourself present and review updated flight information. Ensure you do not exceed baggage weight limits and are not traveling with any prohibited items. Await your Space-A call and follow instructions given to you by the passenger service agents.


National Guard/Reserve components/members of the Ready Reserve and members of the Standby Reserve who are on the Active Status List.

Retired military members who are issued DD Form 2 and eligible to receive retired or retainer pay.

Family members (with a valid identification card) of retired members when accompanied by a sponsor. 

Surviving Spouses (i.e. Widow/Widowers) of Service members who died while on active duty, inactive duty training, or annual training status as well as retired military members, and their accompanying dependents, must have a DoD USID and privilege card. Dependents who are under the age of 14 must possess a Federal-, State-, local-, or tribal government-issued identification.

Authorized veterans with a permanent service-connected disability rated as total or VA-100% Disabled Veteran.

Unaccompanied Command-sponsored dependents.

Students whose sponsor is stationed in Alaska or Hawaii.

Students enrolled in a trade school in the CONUS when the sponsor is stationed overseas.

Military personnel traveling on permissive TDY orders for other than house hunting.

Dependents of military members deployed for more than 30 consecutive days.

Unaccompanied family members (18 years or older) traveling on EML orders. Family members under 18 must be accompanied by an adult family member who is  traveling EML.

DoDDS teachers or family members (accompanied or unaccompanied) in an EML status during summer break.

Members of the uniformed services in an ordinary or re-enlistment leave status.

Military personnel traveling on permissive temporary duty (TDY) orders for house hunting.

If the permissive TDY is for the purpose of permanent change of station house hunting, the member travels in Category III and can be accompanied by one family  member. 

Dependents of military members deployed for more than 365 consecutive days.

Bona fide family members (up to age 23 with a valid identification card) of a service member of the uniformed services when accompanied by their sponsor who is in  an ordinary leave status within overseas areas between overseas stations and air terminals in the CONUS.

This privilege does not apply to travel of dependents to or from a sponsor's restricted or unaccompanied tour location or to travel in a leave status to or from TDY  locations. It applies only to round-trip travel to an overseas area or the CONUS with the sponsor. DODI 4515.13 restricts use of these privileges to establish a home for  family members in an overseas area or the CONUS.

Foreign exchange service members on permanent duty with the DoD, when in a leave status.

Sponsors on environmental and morale leave and accompanied family members. DoD Dependent School teachers and their accompanied family members in EML status during school year holiday or vacation periods.

Transportation by the most expeditious routing only for bona fide immediate family emergencies, as determined by DoDI 1327.06 and military service regulations. This travel privilege will not be used in lieu of funded travel entitlements. 

Emergency travel in connection with serious illness, death, or impending death of a member of the immediate family of the following:
- United States citizen, DoD Civilian Employees stationed overseas.
- Full-time, paid personnel of the American Red Cross serving with United States military services overseas.
- Uniformed service family members whose sponsors are stationed within the CONUS and the emergency exists overseas.
- Family members of United States citizen civilian employees of the DoD when both sponsor and dependents are stationed overseas at the same location.

Contact Information

  • 127th Wing Air Terminal

Space A Flight Information